Sunday, December 6, 2009

What has happened to just simple manners and common respect for others?

Example that happened to me last night at a public community event. We were seated in a bleacher setting and three young teenagers came and sat in the row behind us. Next thing I know I have feet proped up against my posterior because they HAVE to rest their feet on the seat in front of them, not the floor/walking surface of the isle. I see this in the movie theaters too. What's up with disrespecting other peoples space. If I put my feet on them or the back of the seat they were sitting in would they like it?



What has happened to just simple manners and common respect for others?say yes



parenting parenting parenting, nowadays kids are not scolded for doing wrong or taught how to interact with others. Hate to say it but the internet is a big reason. Kids chat online without actually meeting people alot of the time so there social skills suffer. I saw some poor kid apply for a job and he didnt even look at our boss. Didnt dress for interview and didnt say much but mumble. He later admitted to me that he was afraid to talk to people because he didnt get out much. Spent most free time with video games and the internet.



What has happened to just simple manners and common respect for others?palace theatre opera theater



that's it ! there is no respect or authority much less discipline around . it's lacking love , respect and wisdom when to accept your wrong and learn from it ,
Our culture promotes selfishness and doing what you want to feel good. People don't respect the feelings and property of others anymore.
I don't see much respect going on like I did when I was growing up. Parents let kids get by with anything these days (thus, Reality Shows are born glorifying horrible little children and daddy's little girls).



I feel ya.
Apart from selfish parenting, and bad media influences, there is another thing. I think at some point, I was also a rude teenager, and the funny thing was, in my heart I really meant to respect people! The thing is, "being tough" was perceived as part of growing up.



My feeling is that most social problems these days result from unclarity about "Who Should I Be?" The society teaches the young people through its actions that being rude and aggressive = being powerful. It is actually presented as a virtue. Even in the corporate world, the myth is that you got to be rude and ruthless. Many gentle graduates suddenly turn from the pro-social tenderhearts to steely corporate suits.



Young people are looking at really bad role models. It's funny how even on this question, everyone has longed for manners. But in the world out there, this doesn't seem to be the consensus, and we are rude to each other. Because we are insecure, and we don't know what else to be if not pushy and defensive.



Anyway. On the following website, I have found a few change manifestos that we might find relevant, interesting, and educative. Look for SPEAK SOFTLY, GOING HOME, ESCAPE ADULTHOOD, THE YOUTH OF TODAY....



I love this site!



___________________



"unleashed on the public"... lol @ ipaganus.
I am sorry to report that Miss Manners and Mr. Respect were last seen escaping across the border into Mexico. Miss Manners was heard weeping and wailing, and saying that she had been roughed up so many times in America that she couldn't stand it anymore. In the meantime, Mr. Respect, who was bleeding by her side with his clothes almost torn off, offered this comment to a reporter: "America is a bad place where the Respect Family has been disrespected so much that I now have no respect for America,"
yes it feels like kids nowadays dont care at all what they are doing and the effects they have on others. its sad really. they will discover theri wicked ways too late into their twentys or thirtys. i hate kids like that.
People look at it like this:



You have to give ME respect BEFORE I will give YOU respect!



So that just cancels out respect all together.



If you are somewhere and someone is bother you by what they are doing, just politely ask them to stop. If they don't then get an authority involved.



Easiest way to avoid REAL confrontation :)



Hope that helped!
I have dealt with this also, I do the only thing you can do and ask for them to remove their feet.
Amen*, %26amp; thank you for asking!



I am rapidly approaching 50, so perhaps it's a generational issue...but I could never think of representing myself so poorly in public, let alone disrespect others' as you've described. Yet, I encounter the same in almost any public place; Europe/Netherlands and United States of America.



So what happened to simple manners %26amp; common respect? I'm going to blame my peers. The parents who are the baby-boomers have let the reins so loose that the children they brought into our world are out of control. Additionally, children having children (parents under age 20), %26amp; single women have no time for raising them. They are too busy just growing up, or trying to keep a job, to provide a safe, supportive, respect-oriented household.



* Please don't misunderstand. I use this term for punctuation only. It is not intended to suggest any religious preference.
People are very rude these days and seemed to have forgotten their manners. And that saying do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It is sad. Maybe it is the bad influence of many things like TV and movies? I do not know. Maybe their parents never taught them anything really. I know ppl like that!!!!
It probably didn't even occur to these people that they were bothering you. They think of non one but themselves.
Common Sense is not so common anymore.People seem to have little respect for your life,let alone personal space.These are days when lawlessness is growing rapidly.Be encouraged !!!It will soon be over.
It seems ppl are more selfish and concerned about their comfort everyday. The worst of it is they probably still wouldn't respect you if you asked them to stop.
Easy one, Blame it on the parents. If kids don't have some training at home before they are unleashed on the public one can expect them to behave badly. Unfortunately there are no fines for bad behaviour in public.
I don't know. Kids I can see being disrespectful, because obviously they were not taught manners. Last night my Bf and I went out to a charity event for a local animal shelter, and an old woman actually pushed my boyfriend!! I am not talking a little shove, she actually hit him! I could not believe this, if she was younger I would have laid her out on the floor. People are just not considerate of each other at all anymore. I see it everywhere, grocery stores, malls etc. I finally got sick of being polite to these people, so if they decide to push their way in front of me, I will actually kick them in the shin. Do not take this abuse! If this happens to you again, stand up for yourself. I am not saying do what I do, but let them know that you are there, and they are invading your space! Damn people!!!!!
Thank goodness someone other than myself has raised this issue!! Where's the civility in society today! I'm from Australia, and it seems like an epidemic! I'm not prudish/extra conservative/nerdish/anal/especially religious or whatever, just an open minded, down to earth, well raised guy who's had enough. It's got to the point where I feel compelled to yell at people that I meet or see everyday, and shout "Where are your *#%* manners!!!!" (It's not a paradox, because disrespectful and badly mannered people should be disciplined).
I know exactlty what you mean.



I work in a school and although I'm only 21, so it wasnt that long ago that I was at school, I still cant believe how rude and disrespectful some of the kids are. Even down to simple please's and thankyou's. If I hadnt said "please" when I was young I'd have been ignored until I asked politely.
thats how we kick it now adays
man, you're talking about something that a lot of people young and old don't have anymore...respect. i've had lots of things happen to me because other people think it's ok to do whatever they want...either open your mouth and say something or just put up with it
unfortunately the growth of population leads to more isolation within groups as peoples empathy for others shrinks with increased population



youll notice that ppl in a small town aregenerally more social polite and nosy than in big cities



in addition



it is easier to be mean than nice



to be polite takes a certain amount of effort especially when most ppl will take it as some form of sucking up

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security