Thursday, December 10, 2009

Can someone read my essay and tell me if it's good?

Ok, this is a rough draft, so tell me what you think and if there are any changes you would make, let me know.



Dining at Sardis Italian restaurant in New York City was an interesting experience. Located in the heart of New York City’s theater district, Sardis may look like an ideal place to dine pre show or post show, but our experience proved otherwise. The ambience of the restaurant lead us to believe it would be an excellent dining experience, but the menus were overpriced, they have an apparent rodent problem, and we were less than impressed with the quality of the food.



One summer evening, my mother, best friend and I were meeting my aunt in the city to see the lion king. We were starving, and our show was starting in a few hours. We were sitting in the backseat of a New York City cab scanning the streets for an adequate place to eat. Then, my aunt called and suggested that we eat at a Sardis. At this point were so excited that we didn’t care where we ate, so my mother instructed the driver to take us to West 44th street, where Sardi’s was located. The cab dropped us off on the street corner, and we had to walk a little until we reached the restaurant.



At First, we thought we had chosen an excellent restaurant. Everything about it seemed perfect. There was a lighted sign that read Sardis with a comedy tragedy mask symbol beneath it. The small puddle of water on the ground below was reflecting the colors of the neon sign, and it added to the attractiveness of the restaurant. There was another sign that read “Sardi’s, the toast of Broadway for 82 years". We entered with enthusiasm. The restaurant was mostly empty, and we were seated right away. The Soft music that was playing in the background made me feel relaxed after hearing the loud sounds from the busy city streets. There was a man waiting at a podium facing the entrance. He was dressed in a button down suit with a bowtie. He greeted us with a smile as he led us to our seats. I looked around and saw that everything was decorated in different shades of red. The walls were the color of red wine, and the carpet on the floors matched. Small circular tables covered with crisp white linen table cloths filled the room. Each of them was already set, with centerpieces containing flowers that matched the color scheme of the restaurant. Lining the red walls were caricatures signed by famous people who had eaten there before. Each picture also had a short biography of the star. There were so many of them! Vanessa Williams, Whoppi Goldberg, Jason Biggs, Billy Zane, JOHN LEGUIZAMO, and even Lucille Ball were just some of the faces that I recognized. I felt honored to be eating in the same restaurant as all of these famous people. Some of the pictures even contained personalized messages from the stars, claiming how great Sardi’s was. Underneath the Jason Biggs’ picture, he wrote “Sardi’s- The best on Broadway! What an Honor” All of this led us to believe that we couldn’t have picked a better place to eat. As we followed the attendant to be seated, I was still seeing more pictures. Sally Field, Michael Douglass, Kevin Bacon, George Hamilton, and Katy Lee Gifford faces were smiling down on us. When we finally sat down, my friend and I were ready to eat, and the excitement in our eyes caught notice of our parents. They seemed happy that we were enjoying ourselves.



Next, things started to go bad. When the waiter came to take our orders, I inadvertently found evidence of their rodent problem. After we received our drinks, our waiter went back into the kitchen through the singing door behind our table. My friend had placed her bag underneath my chair and she asked me to reach for it. As I went scrambling for her purse, the waiter came back. He started to take our order, but was interrupted by my shriek of disgust. My hand had met a sticky surface that I could not identify with. When I lifted my hand from underneath the table, a mouse trap that was stuck to my sleeve became visible to everyone in the restaurant. I began shaking my arm wildly to set it free. I didn’t want to touch it because I already had enough of the sticky stuff on my hands. The couple looking over at us prompted me to calm down as to not draw attention to myself. The waiter nervously reached over me and pulled the pad off of my dress sleeve and tucked it behind his back to hide it from view. He apologized profusely, and then disappeared through the swinging doors again. There was tension in the room, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to eat anymore. The waiter came back and took our orders, and I while he was talking I was wondering what he did with the mouse pad. I tried to forget about the mouse pad, and gazed at the pictures on the wall.



Lastly, the quality of the food did not meet our expectations. Everything was so expensive, and we didn’t want much to eat at this point. As we looked throughout the menu, we saw items like Steak Tartar - Ground Beef prepared at the table



With a choice of: Anchovies, Pasteurized Eggs, and Capers and Chopped Onions for$29.00, or Duck and Foie Gras Terrine with a Petite Salad, with Sherry Vinegar. There was also Vidalia Onion Compote and Toasted Baguette Croutons for $16.00, and a Grilled Angus Burger served with French Fried Potatoes,



Tomato, Onion and Pickle for $18.75. None of this sounded very good, we all decided that the safest thing would be the Sardis club which was a sandwich made with turkey lettuce and tomato served with French fries on the side, for 18.75 For nearly 20.00, the sandwich was not worth it. The fries tasted terrible, and the waiter brought me rye bread when I asked for wheat. Since I hate the taste of rye bread, this made everything even worse. We were running late, so I decided to keep it, and we packed our unfinished meal to go. I bit into a dry sandwich of turkey, lettuce, and tomato. All I wanted to do was hurry up and leave so that we could move on to the better part of the evening.



I couldn’t believe that the food was not as good as the testimonials by the stars had described. I was very disappointed.



Can someone read my essay and tell me if it's good?state theatre



is it suppose to sound like that though?? shouldnt u be talking more about how the customers feel about the dining resteruant... and how it has increased in sales etc.. the part where u run into this long story about a time u went there seems unneccesarry.. unless thats what u were asked... i dunno somthing about ur essay sounds off... i wish i could help but u didnt really state the outline of what ur essay is suppose to be about.. srry :(



Can someone read my essay and tell me if it's good?theater opera theater



Overall it was a well organized essay, but there are a couple points that could use some help.



1) Your second paragraph should be meshed with the third paragraph. Although you need some background, it's too detailed, and that confuses the reader on your topic.



2) About the paragraph that talks about the rodent problem. I think you can use a better transition word then "next". Something that leads to a completely different change, such as "However" or "Suddenly".



3) When you go from gazing at the pictures on the wall to "Lastly, the quality of the food did not meet our expectations", its too abrupt, and is a little confusing. Tell us whether you forgot about the mouse trap or, an alternative is doing this: " The waiter came back and took our orders, and I while he was talking I was wondering what he did with the mouse pad. I tried to forget about the mouse pad, and gazed at the pictures on the wall while everyone ordered. Everything was so expensive, and we didn’t want much to eat at this point. As we looked throughout the menu, we saw items like..." That would create much more flow.



I think this is a great rough draft to your essay.



Good luck!!
I read through it and here are my recommendations



First of all, I don't care much for the first sentence, you're basically saying "It was interesting." The first sentence should really grab the reader's attention so they'll want to read the rest of the essay



You need some kind of transition b/tw the 1st and 2nd paragraphs...one second you're talking about the quality of the food and then the next you're talking about a summer evening



Watch for repetiton...I noticed that you said "There was" at least five times.



Watch capitalization!...I noticed some words were capitalized that shouldn't be..."At First, we thought we had chosen..." and "The Soft music that was playing..."



"My hand had met a sticky surface that I could not identify with."---You will need to reword this sentence, a sentence isn't supposed to end in "with"...actually my advice would be just to remove the "with" at the end, then the sentence would be fine



One time you said mouse trap and another time you called it mouse pad...I have personally never heard the term "mouse pad" so if I was you I think I'd just keep calling it a mouse trap.



"The waiter came back and took our orders, and I while he was talking..." Be sure to remove the extra I



"None of this sounded very good, we all decided that the safest thing would be the Sardis club which was a sandwich made with turkey lettuce and tomato served with French fries on the side, for 18.75" Double check the punctuation in this sentence



"For nearly 20.00, the sandwich was not worth it." For this sentence, I would change "it" to "the price." You want to avoid saying "it" as much as you can, be more precise rather than just saying "it"



Make sure you have a good ending that sums up everything you've said WITHOUT repeating yourself.



Good essay...I can't imagine being in a restaurant and ending up with a mouse trap on myself!
Interesting story....Do away with the taxi trip paragraph, it's not important. Capitalize Lion King. Shorten your description of the resturant. Maybe you should make it less of a tour of the resturant and more of your feeling about the abience?sp? Take away the pricing of the food. It's Sardi's..it a famous place you shouldn't expect low prices. In general it is a good story that you wrote. Just cut it back to what's important.
Talk about the play, what it was about and how you enjoyed it that can be your ending.
This is an excellent essay and very descriptive. The only things I would change would be a few grammatical errors. I think preshow and postshow are both one word or hyphenated?Lead should be led in 3rd sentence. The "L" in Lion King should be capitalized and it all should be underlined. Also, is the name of the place Sardis or Sardi's, because it alternates? The f in First shouldn't be capitalized and the s in Soft shouldn't be capitalized in the 3rd paragraph. There also should be period after $18.75. (Sorry I'm being so picky, but some teachers grade picky.) But overall good content! That's gross about the mousetrap and those prices are crazy! Well, anyways, a conclusion usually just restates the theses statement, so just maybe add to the last sentence that you were very disappointed that the menus were overpriced, there was a rodent problem etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security